Cooking

Thursday, January 3, 2013

And then there was one...

I have arrived. I sit here now, in a chair by the chilly window, deep in the heart of Texas. I have just sent my mother and sister off on a plane headed back north to the chilly winds and feet of white that will soon crunch beneath their tired feet, exhausted from pounding the Austin streets. It is such a strange feeling, leaving them at the airport knowing I am the one that is being left behind. I have been brought here by the best people I have ever known and probably ever will know. Yes, I am partial, but I've met a pretty good sampling and think I can say they are the best without a doubt. I am watching the sky brighten through this window, not so long ago it was a bleary grey, deceptive as to whether it was dusk or dawn. But now the blue has arrived and the clouds are tinged with slightest of pinks still holding on to a bit of the grey. It is supposed to rain tomorrow. They depart in 5 minutes. I haven't cried until just now, only able to text my Mom words of comfort for her fear of taking off in such a huge piece of metal inexplicably held up in the sky. I want to hold her hand and tell her everything will be alright, usually a little nervous myself but hiding it so she feels better. We will fly again together someday, I'm sure of it. But for now, her and my sister's hearts are being pulled away from me, rising higher as their plane begins to ascend any moment now. I sit here stationary, sniffling and grateful for this quiet corner. And now I wait to hear the chime of my phone alerting me they have landed at O'Hare. They seem so far away now but I know they will soon be close. And I will always carry their hearts, as they have and will carry mine. I'll just be a bit warmer now...

1 comment:

  1. glad I waited to read this, as I am just teary now instead of full blown sobbing!
    Love your words!

    ReplyDelete