Cooking

Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Little Bit of Happy

When asked this morning if I was working by my Mother, I responded somewhat despondently "Unfortunately" to which she replied: "I wish you had a bit of happiness to carry around and get you through every day...right where you are." Now, upon first read, the last thing I wanted to think about was what I could do to be happy. I was at a job that I no longer wanted to be at, received another text letting me know that someone ELSE was very unhappy and considering their place here and I (as I so often do) continued to think about everything else in life that I had a gripe with. So for my mother to tell me that she wished I was happier actually catapulted me into being even less happy so as I sit here wondering what it is that makes this little girl tick I felt like writing it out - that does always make me feel better.

I love to travel and yes, sometimes it may seem like I'm running away, but genuinely, deep down, it really, truly is about wanting to take a trip. Who honestly does not love taking a vacation and once done, looks back and says they wish they could do that more? I work really, really hard. And have worked really, really hard for the last ten years of my life. I've never known more than a month without employment (with the exception of living in England but even then I was still in school!)
I love to cook. I love to feed people and hear their groans of delight and know that I am giving them something to enjoy and turning something that is meant to be simply fuel and energy into something that is fun and a pleasure.
I love to enjoy the weather. If it is beautiful out, you can't stop me from finding a park bench, a dry patch of lawn or a picnic table and sitting down with some iced tea and reading, journaling or listening to music. What I love most of all about beautiful days is the opportunity to enjoy them - they are so rare here in the Midwest and are forever seemingly fleeting.
I do love being good at what I do. I wish for a world that wherever we found our niche, we could exist in a drama-free zone and make enough to be comfortable. Silly thought though that may be, I do wish for it.
I love the frustrations and struggles of writing. I love the joy of being transported by and through a story.

My happy today is knowing that I have finished my homework ahead of schedule. I got a great night's sleep. All our bills are paid. I will have time to work on this blog today because I remembered to bring my laptop to work (hah!). I have stuck faithfully to working out 6 days a week for the last 4 1/2 weeks (no weight lost but I feel great!) Hope you all have some happy today and those in your life to remind you to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment